Friday 11 February 2011

Horug & Snif, The Stranglers



I bought this model almost two years ago and even at the the time I had no idea what I would do with it. The characters have this goblin look but they can't really blend in with my goblin miniatures. Still, I decided to buy it and give it a go with the paint job.
The first thing that struck me was how tiny the model was. I couldn't believe that it was humanly possible to put so much detail in a paint job into such a tiny miniature...



That instantly put me off from even attempting to paint it. I put it away for nearly one year.
Last week, however, I looked at the poor thing and decided that I was going to try my very best with the brush. So I used Knarloc Green for the base and washed the skin with Badab Black. Then I highlighted with Knarloc Green again and started adding a surprisingly effective colour into the mix: Golden Yellow. This was the most fortunate move, as the model started coming to life at every layer I would add (this is probably sounding like the nerdiest monologue ever, but I got really excited with the discovery).
By then, I had already painted the clothes with Hormagaunt Purple and the shoes, straps and pouch with Vermin Brown. Instead of going for the obvious Bleached Bone for the highlights, I used Golden Yellow again and got very good results.
The weapon, nails, teeth and the skull at the bottom were fairly straightforward, so all that was left were the scabs and eyes. I used Scab Red as a base and then used Mechrite Red. The last highlight was done with (surprise!) Golden Yellow into the mix.



In the end, I was very happy with the result, even though it took me a few hours to finish it.
I still don't know what to do with this miniature in my game, but it doesn't matter; I learned a lot about mixing colours and that Golden Yellow is one the best paints out there to give a warm tone to the models.



No comments:

Post a Comment